Categories
Selected Articles

Furious Canadians clap back at American travelers hopping on hated ‘flag-jacking’ trend: ‘Selfish’

Faux Canada!
Categories
Selected Articles

Big Daniel Jones News Sparks Buzz After Colts Win Over Titans

Jones led the Colts to a 3-0 start with Sunday’s 41-20 win over the Titans
Categories
Selected Articles

Jimmy Kimmel is returning to the air, Disney says

Host Jimmy Kimmel speaks onstage during the 95th Annual Academy Awards at Dolby Theatre on March 12, 2023 in Hollywood, California.
Host Jimmy Kimmel speaks onstage during the 95th Annual Academy Awards at Dolby Theatre on March 12, 2023 in Hollywood, California.

  • Jimmy Kimmel’s show is returning after ABC pulled it from the air last week.
  • Kimmel’s suspension came following pressure from the FCC and Nexstar.
  • Disney said the show would return on Tuesday.

After ABC’s decision to pull Jimmy Kimmel off the air “indefinitely,” he’s coming back.

On Monday, Disney-owned ABC said the “Jimmy Kimmel Live!” host would return and the show would resume on Tuesday.

The controversy started on Wednesday, September 17, when Federal Communications Commission chair Brendan Carr took aim at Kimmel’s comments about the death of Charlie Kirk. Carr described Kimmel’s comments as “sickest conduct possible” in an interview and said that the FCC would potentially need to review broadcast licenses.

“We had some new lows over the weekend with the MAGA gang desperately trying to characterize this kid who murdered Charlie Kirk as anything other than one of them,” Kimmel had said on air Monday, September 15. The segment included additional comments about President Donald Trump.

Hours after Carr’s comments on Wednesday, ABC suspended the late-night television host following pressure from Sinclair and Nexstar, two major companies that own ABC affiliate stations. The situation had particularly high stakes for Nexstar, which is seeking the FCC’s approval for a $6.2 billion M&A deal.

Following Kimmel’s suspension, Sinclair said that it wouldn’t air Kimmel’s show on its stations until “appropriate steps” were taken. Sinclair’s demands included an apology from Kimmel to Kirk’s family and a donation to Kirk’s family and Turning Point USA, the organization Kirk founded.

Meanwhile, politicians like former President Barack Obama, and key figures in Hollywood were critical of ABC’s decision to pull Kimmel off the air. Late-night television hosts from Stephen Colbert to Seth Meyers reacted to Kimmel’s suspension during their scheduled Thursday night shows. A protest outside Walt Disney Studios in Burbank, California, took place on Thursday, too.

“This is a big moment in our democracy, and we must all stand up for the principles of free expression,” Meyers said on air. “There’s a reason free speech is in the very first amendment. It stands above all others.”

In addition to ABC, other companies like Microsoft and The Washington Post have taken action against employees for publicly sharing commentary following the death of Kirk.

Read the original article on Business Insider
Categories
Selected Articles

Troll Jack Schlossberg planning to run for Jerry Nadler’s House seat and experts say he has ‘a shot’

Jack Schlossberg, 32, is best known for his online trolling of various prominent people and unhinged social media posts.
Categories
Selected Articles

Rhode Island high school coach who did naked fat tests sentenced to year of probation

Rhode Island high school coach who did naked fat tests sentenced to year of probation [deltaMinutes] mins ago Now
Categories
Selected Articles

Sheriff: Tiger fatally mauls handler during big cat show in Oklahoma

Sheriff: Tiger fatally mauls handler during big cat show in Oklahoma [deltaMinutes] mins ago Now
Categories
Selected Articles

Week 4 NFL early predictions: Best bets, picks to target before lines move

Ahead of “Monday Night Football,” we dive into Week 4.
Categories
Selected Articles

Illenium announces 2026 Las Vegas Sphere residency. Get tickets today

Beats will drop in Sin City from March 5-7 and 12-14.
Categories
Selected Articles

Lisa Barlow unpacks ‘RHOSLC’ drama and shuts down plastic surgery speculation with ‘Virtual Reali-Tea’

“Real Housewives of Salt Lake City” star Lisa Barlow stopped by the Page Six studio to chat with “Virtual Reali-Tea” co-hosts Danny Murphy and Evan Real about all the drama unfolding on the new season of the hit Bravo reality show. The Vida Tequila founder explained her absence in last week’s premiere, while also addressing…
Categories
Selected Articles

Lockheed’s new combat drone shows the premier stealth aircraft designer is moving into the ‘loyal wingman’ business

An artist's rendering of Lockheed Martin's newly announced Vectis aircraft, a Group 5 survivable and lethal collaborative combat aircraft.
An artist’s rendering of Lockheed Martin’s newly announced Vectis aircraft, a Group 5 collaborative combat aircraft, or “loyal wingman” system.

  • Lockheed Martin has unveiled Vectis, a new uncrewed stealth combat aircraft.
  • Vectis is a Group 5 aircraft designed for survivability and “collaboration” in combat.
  • The aircraft aims to enhance airpower by complementing human pilots in various missions.

A US defense giant behind top stealth combat aircraft has a new one coming, just without a human in the cockpit.

Lockheed Martin introduced the company’s latest project, known as “Vectis,” on Sunday ahead of the annual Air & Space Force Association’s Air, Space and Cyber Conference.

The aircraft is a “Group 5 survivable and lethal collaborative combat aircraft,” the company said in a press release, referring to the largest size of uncrewed aerial systems, or UAS, built to survive enemy defenses and strike back.

“Vectis is the culmination of our expertise in complex systems integration, advanced fighter development and autonomy,” said OJ Sanchez, the vice president and general manager of Lockheed Martin’s Skunk Works, said, adding that the defense firm is “creating a new paradigm for air power based on a highly capable, customizable, and affordable agile drone framework.”

Drones fighting alongside piloted jets

Concept renderings show the uncrewed fighter aircraft YFQ-42A and YFQ-44A in flight.
Concept renderings show the uncrewed fighter aircraft YFQ-42A and YFQ-44A in flight.

It’s a collaborative combat aircraft, or CCA, a type of new “loyal wingman” uncrewed system. Pentagon and defense industry leaders hope to see such aircraft flying either alone or teamed with crewed fighter jets, complementing human pilots for missions ranging from air-to-air combat, electronic warfare, and surveillance and reconnaissance. CCA could also perform missions deemed excessively dangerous for human pilots.

Former Air Force Secretary Frank Kendall previously outlined a notional goal of about 1,000 CCAs, based on the idea of pairing two CCAs with 200 of the service’s future Next Generation Air Dominance fighters and two more for 300 F-35s, each. The idea is to boost combat power without fielding more crewed aircraft, decreasing danger to and demand for pilots. CCAs are also significantly less expensive than crewed combat aircraft.

How many CCAs the Air Force ultimately buys remains to be seen. It is still early days. Two front-runners in the CCA program are products from General Atomics and Anduril, the XQ-67A and the Fury, respectively. These drones were given unique fighter drone designations, YFQ-42A and YFQ-44A, earlier this year.

Other CCA-like designs include Boeing’s MQ-28 Ghost Bat, the Kratos XQ-58A Valkyrie, and now the Vectis from Lockheed.

Stealth aircraft

F-35 stealth fighter
The F-35 stealth fighter, a fifth-gen jet Trump wants to majorly upgrade.

As one of the so-called “Primes,” legacy defense industry behemoths, Lockheed has heavily invested in stealth aircraft since the 1970s, when the company’s mysterious “Skunk Works” group developed the first operational stealth aircraft, the F-117 Nighthawk, created to avoid radar detection.

It was the primary contractor, in partnership with Boeing and Pratt & Whitney, for the fifth-generation F-22 Raptor, an expensive air superiority fighter still used today, though production ceased over a decade ago. And it also makes the F-35 Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter, another fifth-generation fighter that the company intends to upgrade with more advanced capabilities for a “fifth-generation plus” version of the aircraft.

Though important to US airpower and as a stepping stone to next-generation capabilities, the advanced stealth aircraft has been notoriously plagued by mismanagement and constantly ballooning costs.

A decision on the NGAD, now known by the designation F-47, the first US sixth-generation fighter, saw Boeing take the win over Lockheed, but the latter is still looking at ways to incorporate its knowledge and designs into other projects.

In announcing the new drone, Lockheed — maker of the early low-observable RQ-170 Sentinel drone — said that Vectis “leverages decades of stealth expertise to deliver best-in-class survivability for a CCA.”

It added that “Skunk Works has decades of experience leveraging speed, altitude, shape, advanced materials and more to keep crewed and uncrewed platforms safe in the most challenging environments to solve the warfighter’s hardest problems.”

Read the original article on Business Insider